Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Stooges Internship

“The Three Stooges Collection. Volume 7: 1952-1954”: Still rolling with the Stooges: bee-bee-bee-bee, as Shemp would say. Out of the shorts shone, there are only a few classics that I recall having seen in the past and laughing out loud. Most shorts in this volume I have not seen, but there is a reason for that, the shorts are not funny. I mean, not funny one bit. Moe still has his mean charisma, Shemp is still as ugly as ever and Larry still appears awkward at moments when he is taking a leading role. Some of the episodes were really cool in terms of making fun of their time period, like bebop and using slang. But nothing was better than Moe calling some Italian character whose name was Antonio Zucchini Salami Gorgonzola, “Piason!” Sadly, by the end of the volume, there is a ton of footage recycled to tell a new familiar story: old footage, new footage, back to old, then new; but cleverly done. It almost seemed harder work to combine old footage to a new storyline. Sadly, I have to give this volume a HEARING AID OFF. Sorry to the Stooges resting in the next world.


“The Internship”: And not a great movie by any means, but a movie that hits home for an older person’s heart. Forget about Wilson & Vaughn and their we-play-the-same-character-in-every-movie-act. Forget about the viewer knowing the outcome to the story. Instead, enjoy the show, its message and the movie’s ability to reach inside of somewhere inside the depths of your zombie infested brain (at least that is how mine is). Here we have all the Google stereotypes: brainiacs, oversmarts, nerds, turds, fatties, Patties, and on and on and on, then the 2 old interns. Did you hear that? It was the dramatic entrance theme song. 2 old guys, well, according to all the 20 something year olds, that is, want something better and go through the whole fitting in thing. What captures my heart, is the youth and how I was them; that is nerdy (yeah, I was, but I also had a little jock in me), shy with the ladies (thank god, my wife, who is a hottie BTW, found me interesting) and clung to a few neighborhood guys I knew (friendless beyond the area I grew up in). But, I never stayed in my little shell for long, ‘cause once college came, I flew like a long-haired wild butterfly, and all the while, I was always true to myself. There is no doubt, I am an odd ball, yes sir, Mr. Grinch, I’m a strange one, the fact remains is that I remained true to myself: being me. “Being me” is different for everyone and what I found out, people like the real people they see in front of them: mad, angry, funny, drunk, happy, crazy, wild, calm. People like people that seem unique but aren’t because nothing is truly unique in this world. And everyone looks for something in someone that is memorable; that certain quality that separates that certain someone from everyone else. I know I can indent a memory in everyone I come across. The question is: Can you leave a lasting impression on your fellow man by simply not trying to impress, and being yourself? HEARING AID ON if you can and for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment